Re: 2.5l V6 Water Pump: OEM or 'pattern' ?

Tony:

Re your comments.  I note you have a 3 litre car.
There are people who like you swear that the Milano water
pump is long lived.  Others like me who believe, you can count on a 25K
water
pump change/failure (maybe to insure changing of timing belt before
failure on a
safe and regular basis(Joke not funny)).  Anyhow, the pattern I believe
I've spotted from
anecdotes relayed to me is frequent failure occurs mostly in Early
Milanos,
'87 models  with the 2.5Litre motor.

I propose a survey (non scientific) or Milano owners on the digest.

If you've driven your car for a significant number of miles 30K, 50K or
more or if you have all the PO's records, What year, Model, & engine
size &
frequency of replacement?

I'll start,  1987, Milano Gold (a/c), std. transmission, 2.5L, on 4th
water pump,
original replaced @ 25K, next @56,K and recent at 82K.

I believe 3 litre cars and maybe '88's are more reliable.  Or I'm VERY
unlucky.

No one's mentioned to Doss; 10K is too short, sounds like a
manufacturer's defect.
Alfa authorized Shop installed Alfa parts have a 12,000 mi. warranty.
Check with
whoever sold you yours??

Good Luck and Milano Owners let's see if we can collect some data.

Tonywoodtw@domain.elided wrote:

> 27 Jul 1998  Doss Halsey asks:
>
> << The "new" water pump in my '87 Milano (2.5l V6) has begun leaking after
> only 10k miles! I don't believe the belt has been too tight.

stuff deleted...

> I recently replaced the water pump on my '89 164 V6 3.0 (probably the same as
> on the Milano V6) with genuine Alfa Romeo spare, and note that it is a
> slightly different design now.  I thought it wasn't going to fit at first, but
> it does when you move the alternator bracket out of the way.  IMHO you need
> the belts tight for everything to work OK, and the bearings are beefy enough
> to cope.  10K seems a bit soon to me - mine did almost 100K miles before it
> started to weep antifreeze.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett