Best tuning for standard engine?

I need some advice to get out the best possible performance from standard
1750 engine. My car is European Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce =9271 (II series
model). It is equipped with Weber 40 DCOE carburettors. My purpose is to
find out the best carburettor jet sizes and the best ignition advance
setting for modern high quality gasoline (reformulated, RON 99) and to
local climate.=20

Q1: Best ignition advance?

I have thought to find out the best advance by testing different settings
on the road or on the racetrack. I would drive test runs with full throttle
and 3=92rd gear from 2500 - 5000 rpm and use stopwatch - the best time tells
the best advance. The question is: Will the ignition advance found by this
method be safe to use, or will there be danger to get pre-ignition? Will
the result be precise? Would you recommend another and better method?

Q2: Carburettor jet sizes?

To this task, I have got only general pieces of advice to "just drive the
car with different jets on the road and take the jets that feels best=85"
That is not really too systematic. Better and surely working way is to do
the job with lambda sensor, but I am not really thrilled to make any
additional holes to the exhaust system. So, please help me. How to find the
most suitable jets for local conditions systematically?=20

Thanks in advance,

Antti S.