Re: Grille Badge

From: Tony Brucia <Aibrucia@domain.elided>

>the badge represents the "Automobile-Club Roma"  The insignia shows
>a shield with a 6 legged (I think) cat (I think).  It also has the
>initials "SPQR" with a Maltese cross.  Does anyone know what the insignia
>signifies and what the letters stand for?

Lessee, how to put this delicately.

This isn't a troll, right? You seriously don't know the connection between
"Roma" (Rome) and "SPQR" and the "cat"?

I thought that the legend of the founding of Rome was a little more well
known than apparently it is.

The "cat" is a she-wolf. The other two "legs" are probably representations
of Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome (who were abandoned in the woods
and raised by wolves).

SPQR is the motto of the Roman Republic. I have enough trouble spelling
in English, so I'm sure this is well butchered, but it's something like
"Senatus Populus Quo Repubicus" which means "The Senate and People for
the Republic."

The cross I haven't a clue about unless it was added to show the current
Christian domination of the city.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |