Grille Badge

One of my neighbors knowing my penchant for Italian cars, (3 Alfa's laying
around), dropped off an old grille badge he thought I might like.  Its one of
those old metal (I think brass) badges that used to be popular in the '50's
and 60's.  He said it was his fathers.  Anyway the badge represents the
"Automobile-Club Roma"  The insignia shows a shield with a 6 legged (I think)
cat (I think).  It also has the initials "SPQR" with a Maltese cross.  Does
anyone know what the insignia signifies and what the letters stand for?

Thanks!

Tony Brucia