Re: alfa-digest V6 #19 RE: Guerrilla Garage

Steve Foster, bravo, you've got it exactly right!

Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 07:44:28 -0500
From: guerrilla1@juno.com (Guerrilla Garage)
Subject: Braden's article on SPICA emissions in  Alfa Owner

Well I don't know a lot about the specifics of the emissions laws in
California, but I do know that a lot of the unburned hydrocarbon and CO
emissions on Alfas stems not from any inadequacy on the part of the
injection system but from weak ignitions.  The steep included valve
angle
of traditional Alfa heads does little to promote good spark propagation
or a rapid flow of gasses from the combustion chamber.  Using a three
gas
analyzer ( we don't have a chassis dyno test in upstate NY yet) I have
seen a dramatic reduction in emissions simply by adding a decent CD type
ignition.  I usually use a Marelli Plex distributor and an MSD or Crane
spark box and the hottest coil I can get.  Has anybody out there tried
this before they go and scrap their cars?  I also take exception with
the
suggestion that carbs will be more "economical" than SPICA but that's
another issue.

 Steve Foster Syracuse, NY