Re: GTV-6 no start.

>>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:40:31 -0700 (MST)
>From: Marcantonio Sandro <Sandro.Marcantonio@Colorado.EDU>
>Subject: GTV-6 no start.
>...will crank over just fine, so I checked to see if the
>fuel pump was whining, nothing, not even a sound.
>I disconnected the combo relay, cleaned out the connections. Still no
>whine from the fuel pump.  I moved the airflow meter flap and could here a
>clicking in the relay but no fuel pump noise at all, just silence.  Then I
>took the combo relay off my Milano and installed it in the GTV-6. Nothing,
>then just to check I put the combo relay out of the gtv-6 into my car and
>it worked just fine.  THen miraculously I jiggled the pump, filter area
>on the gtv-6 and it started. WE drove it around and then parked it.  THen
>today no amount of banging on the pump would get the car to run and start.
>Sandro Marcantonio
>Boulder, Colorado.
>P.S.
>IS there a way to hot wire the fuel pump, the pink wire on the combo
>relay, directly to positive juice just to get the car going?

This is exactly what happened to my GTV6 last summer while I was in Kansas
City. The onset of the problem was slightly different, in that it involved a
dead opossum carcass getting wedged under my car and pulling the fuel pump
loose.
But, that aside... Ask yourself "is the fuel pump good?"
No the fuel pump is not good.
You know that.
You can slap it around all you want but you are not going to make the wear
from years of faithful service (that is causing the internal surfaces to bind)
go away. You got yourself an entropy problem here.
Tell your buddy to spend the money. You only have to buy it once every 100,000
miles or so.
If it'll make your friend feel any more sanguine about the monetary outlay,
make one last check of the electrical circuits with a voltage meter and be
certain the crabby old pump is actually getting adequate power. I was lucky
enough to have Al Weaver and Glen Beckerdite teach me a bit about checking the
voltage while I was  in Kansas City.
The real bottom line is to respect your time. Sure, it is quite satisfying to
fix something by giving it a whack with the ball-pean adjustment tool but, you
know it isn't fixed. Just delayed to an even more inconvenient time for the
car to crap out on you. Do it right and be done with it. Replacing this pump
takes literally minutes. Roadside temporary repairs laying in a pool of
gasoline take a hell of a lot more time.
One last thing, be extra careful when fitting the fuel line hose onto the
plastic nipple on the new pump. Push the hose straight onto the nipple without
applying any sideways force. That plastic nipple can snap off and ruin your
shiny new pump.
JimboMGA@aol.com
1984 GTV6 (graunch) beware the opossum
1969 912 (44/56)