RE: [alfa] No more Milano brakes...?

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [alfa] No more Milano brakes...?

Hello Alfisti,

Symptoms:
Today while driving in heavy stop and go traffic, the yellow "Anti Lock
light" came 'On' and a little later the effort on the pedal was very
light during the first section of the travel and very hard during the
second part of the pedal travel, similar to the feel when you have air
on the system.

I just went outside and open the ignition switch and I could hear the
hydraulic pump working and the "Anti Lock Light" turned off by itself,
could this be the beginning of a major repair? The car has 88K miles and
otherwise it is in great shape, I have logged about 14,000 miles on it
since late February.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Gilles

I don't think it's the MC. More likely you overworked an aged ABS pump.
If you've never replaced your accumulator, it might be well worth while
to replace it. A good accumulator is key to keeping your ABS pump happy.
Keep a listen for the pump running. I believe it shouldn't run more than
say 5 - 15 seconds every 5th brake or so under normal conditions. If you
hear it running all the time that's a sure sign there is a problem
keeping your system pressurized, if there are no leaks, it's the prolly
the accumulator.

HTH,
Graham Spencer
'86 GTV-6