[alfa] Cromodora CD50- Mag or Aluminum?

Tom Faust wonders whether his Cromodora 'Daytona' CD 50 wheels off his Alfetta are magnesium or aluminum - he is inclined to think aluminum - and adds "They are marked 'offset H2, can anyone translate that?"

According to an undated, but circa 1972, Cromodora catalog I have "We diecast our wheels in magnesium alloy - - "

Joe Elliott's <grin> very logical opinion notwithstanding, I doubt that 'offset H2' is English for 'Campanatura H2'. Several German aftermarket alloy wheel catalogs which I have from the period have an 'H2' suffix on the wheel specs. The Sera catalog, for example, has 'H2" on every wheel, with offsets of of 11, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 27, 30, 32, 33, 38, 45, and 48 mm. An ATS catalog (April '81) has fifty wheels with the 'H2' suffix and one with a 'CH' suffix. I suspect it may have something to do with the form of the well between the beads, but I doubt it means campanatura. Somebody conversant with German terms probably knows, but I don't.

Incidentally, one shouldn't go by appearances without measuring when buying Cromodora Daytonas at swapmeets; the old catalog I have show eight different ones for various applications, Tom's is a ninth, and there are probably others.

John H.
Raleigh, NC