[alfa] re: Rear axle noise on high(est) mileage GTV6

Jeff wrote in response to nardo:

> Replacement is not too difficult, provided you have the proper tools and
> things aren't too rusty. In the proper tools department, you need the
> special socket for the bearing retainers, a very large air impact wrench,
> and either the special alfa tool for removing/installing the bearings.
Also,
> oxy-acetylene torches will help greatly most times.

> Wheel bearings should be readily available from any of your favorite Alfa
> parts suppliers, or locally through any better parts stores that know
> European stuff. The bearings fit many other applications (VW/Audi/Saab,
> etc).

> You will also need replacement retainers.

Jeff, with the growl from the back of my Alfa75 getting ever louder, I have
searched the web for descriptions of how to change these rear wheel
bearings, and they all have the tone "don't try this at home!".  As someone
with a fair bit of Alfa mechanic'ing experience, this is disconcerting.

Have you ever written out a more detailed description that we can use?

The parts about special tools, and big this, and oxy that, are a bit more
than is usually required!
I need to know whether to make a booking at the dealer.  (Yes, we have
dealers!)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
david