[alfa] Re: Cromodora CD50- Mag or Aluminum?

On 14 December 2004, John Hertzman <giovannisvedese@domain.elided> wrote:

> Joe Elliott's <grin> very logical opinion notwithstanding, I doubt that
> 'offset H2' is English for 'Campanatura H2'. Several German aftermarket
> alloy wheel catalogs which I have from the period have an 'H2' suffix
> on the wheel specs. The Sera catalog, for example, has 'H2" on every
> wheel, with offsets of of 11, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 27, 30, 32, 33,
> 38, 45, and 48 mm. An ATS catalog (April '81) has fifty wheels with the
> 'H2' suffix and one with a 'CH' suffix. I suspect it may have something
> to do with the form of the well between the beads, but I doubt it means
> campanatura. Somebody conversant with German terms probably knows, but
> I don't.

Yes, "H2" refers to the "double hump" rim design.  An H2 rim has two
raised, rounded humps, adjacent to the bead seats, opposite the flanges.

There is also an "H" rim with a single rounded hump next to one of the
bead seats as well as an "FH" rim with a single flat-sided hump.  And
some rims have a rounded hump on one side and a flat-sided hump on the
other.  The "CH" wheel in your ATS catalog was one of these "combination
hump" designs.

Incidentally, "J" refers to the flange profile, as in "6J x 15."

Regards
Tom
thomasw@domain.elided