[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #466

From: John Hertzman <giovannisvedese@domain.elided>
Subject:  [alfa] Cromodora CD50- Mag or Aluminum?

Tom Faust wonders whether his  Cromodora 'Daytona' CD 50 wheels off his
Alfetta are magnesium or aluminum -  he is inclined to think aluminum  -
and adds "They are marked 'offset  H2, can anyone translate that?"

According to an undated, but circa 1972,  Cromodora catalog I have "We
diecast our wheels in magnesium alloy - -  "

Joe Elliott's <grin> very logical opinion notwithstanding, I  doubt that
'offset H2' is English for 'Campanatura H2'. Several German  aftermarket
alloy wheel catalogs which I have from the period have an 'H2'  suffix
on the wheel specs. The Sera catalog, for example, has 'H2" on every
wheel, with offsets of of 11, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 27, 30, 32, 33,
38, 45, and 48 mm. An ATS catalog (April '81) has fifty wheels with the
'H2' suffix and one with a 'CH' suffix. I suspect it may have something
to do with the form of the well between the beads, but I doubt it means
campanatura. Somebody conversant with German terms probably knows, but
I  don't.

Incidentally, one shouldn't go by appearances without measuring  when
buying Cromodora Daytonas at swapmeets; the old  catalog I have  show
eight different ones for various applications, Tom's is a ninth, and
there are probably others.

John H.
Raleigh, NC

Thank you for your efforts John.

I "Googled" "Cromodora Daytona CD 50" the only response that came up was in
German which I had to read through a "Babblefish" translation. The markings on
 the Cromodora described were identical to mine, including "offset H2". The
German post was short, and as well as I could understand it, indicated that
the  poster had them on a Fiat 124 and wanted to know what other cars the wheels
were  "certified for". IIRC, 4 x 98mm was used on the Alfetta, Fiat and
Lancia.

Still curious as to the alloy used. Short of slicing off a piece to see if
it burns, I know of no way to test them. As I believe I mentioned, weight is
12.6lb./5.6Kg. I had some Porsche Fuchs in 15", IIRC they weighed 14.3lb. They
are forged aluminum and lighter than cast. Still, I should think that a
magnesium 14" should weigh in the range of 10lb. On the rear, in a sort of grid,
my wheels have the numerals 83, I suppose this could be the year.

As I mentioned, my wheels have both a bevel in the lug stud drilling and a
recess to accept the ring washer usually used on mag wheels. In my Google
search, I found some lug nuts which have the bevel and incorporate the  washer. I
have never seen anything like that in real life.

Tom Faust