Re: [alfa] Mechanical vs electric fans - was single row timing chains

Ah, but when you are on full throttle at 80 MPH, the mechanical fan is
doing damn all   - it is the car velocity fan that is doing the work, but
the mechanical fan is still loading the engine. I know that many years ago
when I was living in England, I took the mechanical fan off my Cortina
GTand the climate there just did not give me any overheating problems, but
the car suddenly gained a few MPH so that on a long run on the M6 at WOT I
could then exceed "the ton" (100 MPH) - BTW - all legal, as at the time,
(1964) there were no speed limits outside of the towns and cities (super
time was had by all enthusiasts)

I might add that the electrical fan controlled by a thermostat usually only
engaged at idle or near idle conditions, when extra power was not a concern.

Gwynne Spencer