Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:26:23 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Cuadra <cuadra@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] LS heater core

On Sunday I was driving in the mountains south of San Francisco. After turning on the climate control I noticed steam/vapor and the unmistakable smell of coolant coming from the lower heating ducts on the passenger side.

I shut off the system and returned home. Once in my driveway I turned the climate control on & off, then switched over to Econ mode. I alternated between full heat and A/C. No more steam/vapor. The area around the ducts was dry. No coolant leaks on the driveway.

When I checked the expansion tank it was empty (it was full the week before, and the week before that the cooling system was drained & flushed).

Driving around today everything seems fine. Is my heater core about to go south? I'm not looking forward to replacing it 'cause it looks like a bitch to get to.

Paul

95 LS 5-speed (66K miles)
83 GTV6 (242K miles)
03 Aprilia Falco (4K miles)