[alfa] Spider fuel filter and related problems

Hi all,

Just wanted to say a public thank you for all the kind
help I received in answer to my question about fuel
filters for my stalling 78 Spider (I emphasize,
however, that this is the first time it has ever
happened--at a stop light, stalling after the fuel
pressure light came on. I had never seen that one on
before. I had to look it up in the owner's manual).

I got the two fuel filters from IAP by two-day UPS
delivery that took six days (UPS blunder, not IAP's
fault). I decided NOT to try to do it myself. I have
no experience and gasoline scares me. Tomorrow I hope
the car and filters will make it to the mechanic for
what should be a routine filter exchange.

I have one more question, though.

Given suggestions in literature kindly sent by list
people that it could be not just the filters but
possibly a blockage in the fuel return line, I hope to
get the mechanic to look at this possibility, but is
there anything else worth having him check out while
it's up in the air? I'd like to be reasonably sure the
car won't strand me again.

By the way, someone once told me never to tow a Spider
on anything but a flatbed (thinking about the
worst-case scenario here). Is that hogwash? If it ever
does have to be towed and no flatbed is available, any
special way it needs to be done to avoid damage?

Thanks so much--never met a more helpful bunch of
people!

Colin
http://mail.yahoo.com