RE: [alfa] 105 Rear Axle Seal & Bearings

George -

I'm forwarding an email I sent to the list earlier this morning regarding
rear bearing replacement in case you didn't see it.

Sometimes, the axles pull right out by hand, other times a slide hammer is
required. Nothing special, a generic slide hammer works fine.

In addition to the bearings and seals, you will need replacement bearing
retainers if your spider is a 2L, you don't say what year it is. The earlier
cars (1600) had threaded retainers, not sure what the 1750 had. Not sure
where a Jr. falls in all this. If your car has the threaded retainers, then
they just unscrew and can be re-used.

The seals will just pull out of the axle tube (you may need to ding it with
a chisel to move it), use a pipe or large socket of the appropriate diameter
to install the new seals.

HTH,

Jeff