Re: [alfa] driveshaft vibration

On Apr 17, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Brian Shorey wrote:

Aside from that, in addition to motor mounts, have you tried the
transmission mounts?  Center support?
Before you go for a complete new drive shaft let me throw out one more option. I was in pretty much the exact same situation a few years ago with my '76 Spider. I'd replaced the center support because it was clearly shot. I also installed new u-joints and donut at the same time. There was a persistent vibration at a particular speed that I simply could not diagnose. I was about to go for a complete new shaft when a friend suggested one more thing. He said to check the tightness of the large bolt that holds the mounting hardware to the transmission. This is the large bolt that holds the piece onto the transmission to which the donut is attached. I removed the drive shaft and obtained a large socket wrench suitable for this nut. It seemed very tight with no noticeable play but I put a wrench on it and torqued it down maybe a third of a turn further at the most. Silky smooth drive shaft ever since.

Bob Smith
'76 Spider
Waco, TX