RE: [alfa] driveshaft vibration

> I can definitely sympathize with Ed Prytherch's driveshaft vibration
> problem. My 1985 Spider has a driveshaft resonance at about 38 mph which
> goes away +/- 6 mph. I've had the u-joints replaced and the complete
> shaft balanced at the drive line shop to no discernible effect. Since
> the engine had dropped to the point of just touching the engine guard, I
> replaced the motor mounts and this raised the engine about 1 inch,
> eliminating a bend at the drive line doughnut. Still no vibration
> improvement. Had all wheels balanced again. Same result. I then replaced
> the front section shaft with a spare that has a new bearing. Still same
> vibration. At this point it appears that the only remaining option is a
> complete new drive shaft, but at $319 plus shipping (IAP), I'm looking
> for a second opinion; any volunteers?

For all with drive shaft vibration problems, have you checked to make sure
the front and rear halves of the shafts are aligned with each other?

I never realized it mattered until Glynn pointed it out to me one day.

Where the two halves spline into each other, on one side you should see a
dot, on the other a small arrow.  I'm told you might not find these on every
drive shaft, but I've seen them on every one I've inspected.

Aside from that, in addition to motor mounts, have you tried the
transmission mounts?  Center support?

HTH,

bs