[alfa] Driveshaft vibration

I have to agree the cause could be any number of fairly infinitesimal
things which could be causing this. We all are warned not to tighten the
differential / rear suspension bolts down before lowering the car to the
ground. However, how do we know we lowered it evenly, alignment to the
front wheels wise? Sorry, too lazy to go back but someone suggested
loosening up the engine mounting bolts and then rocking the engine to
'settle it' - one hopefully assumes in the correct spot.

Since I have it in front of me, Bob Smith suggests tightening the main
transmission support bolt more.

Obviously one should make sure the driveshaft is in good nick (for you
wrong side drivers) before starting out on your vibration quest.

A  couple of weeks ago I received Racer Parts Wholesale
(racerpartswholesale.com) latest catalog. While I won't say their part
no. SMC-11410 ($379 - ouch) Smartstrings Alignment Kit will solve one's
problem, it (apparently) would go far to alleviate some of the variables
- which for me is what I (generally) strive for when stuck with a sticky
problem.

They show a couple of small photos (of a poorscha) and while it doesn't
appear to be overly sophisticated, the tool is more than a ball of twine
and instructions. Copy says: "This tool allows all four wheels to be
perfectly aligned to themselves AND ensures the front and rear axles
will be perfectly in-line or parallel with one another..."

Even if it only gets you in a pretty close vicinity of a ballpark and
one still has a serious vibration, it hopefully should tell you it's not
the front to rear alignment.

Since it's not Alfa specific, I for one would be willing to go in with
locals and share the cost of one - providing it's available when I need
to use it - "Blimey, I loaned it to my neighbor who loaned it to his
cousin who, I believe, loaned it to..."

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Good laugh. Spell checker came up with Porsche as an alternative to my
poorscha. Wonder what car the programmer drives or would like to?