RE: [alfa] Replacement of front crankshaft seal - spider

I missed the info about the year / model of the car. I had a 1959 Giulietta
Sprint and the front crankcase cover had the lip on the outside. In 1961
the Alfa dealer in San Jose, CA told me it was going to cost something like
$450 to pull the head and front cover to replace the leaking seal. I has a
friend who was a machinist / tool maker; we  turned the engine into a
lathe! He made a fitting that would slide over the crankshaft end with a
groove for the key. The fitting was designed to hold the cutting tool one
would use on a lathe. We pulled the radiator and the front pulley.  We then
put a lot of very thick grease inside the cover to trap cuttings, slid the
tool on the crank, set the tool cutting edge at the diameter that would
remove the outer lip and tightened the crank bolt enough for the cutting
edge to put slight pressure on the front cover. Then, after pulling the
spark plugs, used the starter motor to drive the "lathe" - AKA crankshaft.
We tightened the crank bolt bit by bit until the lip was cut away. We then
reached in with a piece of steel with a notch cut in it and yanked out the
old seal.He had also made another cutter that could machine a groove in the
cover that would accept a snap ring to prevent the new seal from going into
the engine (probably not necessary, as the seal was a very tight fit). We
then used our ":lathe" to cut the groove and subsequently installed the
snap ring. I may still have the tool in my auto junque box.  This solution
worked fine.  I know that later engines had the lip on the inside where it
belonged!

Gwynne Spencer