RE: [alfa] Replacement of front crankshaft seal - spider

Shawn -

No need to remove the timing cover just to replace the seal, that's a lot of
work.

You will need to remove the radiator so you have decent access. Remove the
alt. belt, and the spica drive belt. I'd suggest you replace them both while
they are off (especially the Spica belt).

You'll need an impact wrench to get the pulley off, a 1 1/2" socket and
possibly an extension or two. Depending on how large the impact wrench is,
you may have to use an extension or two through the grille opening.

If the nut has never been off before, there will be a lock tab on it. The
impact wrench should make short work of it. Replacement lock tabs are NLA
last I knew, so just use some red loctite on reassembly.

Once the nut is off, the pulley should slide right off the crankshaft. The
best way to remove the seal, is to drill a small hole in it parallel to the
crank, thread a sheet metal screw into it (don't go too deep though, there
is an oil slinger (washer kind of thing) directly behind it) and grab the
screw with a pair of vice grips and pull it out.

To install the new seal, find a piece of pipe, pvc, or something hollow that
is approx. the same OD as the seal and deep enough that it will clear the
front of the crank. Use this with a block of wood to tap the new seal into
place. The trick is to get it started square to the opening, and only tap on
the outer circumference otherwise you risk damaging the new seal.

When you put it all back together, it is easier to install the FI pump belt
with the crank pulley. Kind of work both ends of the belt on at the same
time as you push the crank pulley home.

Timing the pump is in Wes' Spica manual as well as many others. However,
there was one manual (can't remember which one) that had the procedure
wrong. So check a few and make sure they all agree, or ask here when you are
ready ...

HTH,

Jeff