[alfa] Re: Pulling Milano Steering Wheel

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:13:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Monty Mathisen <Monty@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Pulling Milano Steering Wheel

Hi,
I have asked this before. I went and got the generic wheel puller (Which
I have
been told works with some difficulty) and popped the center off to find a
big
bolt and 2 little "grey things" that seemed to cover up holes?? i took
the nut
off the big bolt. I have no clue what to do now
Please Help,
Monty

Monty.

The steering wheel's base plate has a pair of M6 x 1 threaded holes.  Not
being able to readily find either threaded rod stock or bolts long
enough, I made a pair using late 80's Honda battery hold down J-bolts
(salvage yard free stuff) which have rolled (high strength) threads.  I
cut mine to 5" length, drilled out the threads of a pair of attached
washer-nuts (Honda items again) and brazed the nuts on the plain end
(washer toward the threads, of course).  You may wish to thread one of
the J-bolts into the steering wheel, place your puller against it and
mark the top side to be sure that you cut them long enough.

Graham L. Davis

'89 Milano Verde