[alfa] Re: Pulling Milano Steering Wheel

This is good advice. When I tried to pull my original GTV-6 wheel, I
found that the bolts which fit the stock 6mm holes were too small. The
wheel was on so tight that the bolts both stretched and bent over
(grade 8's yet!), and the tighter I screwed-down the jack screw on the
wheel puller, the further the wheel puller leaned over until finally,
it kicked out with a loud bang. What I ended-up doing was drilling and
tapping the wheel for 8mm bolts and then using a washer and a nut on
the underside of the wheel. After a herculean effort  winding on the
jack screw of the wheel puller with a breaker bar on the wrench, the
wheel finally popped off. I replaced it with a used leather rimmed
stock GTV-6 wheel (the 'wooden" one which came on the car being too
slippery for my hands). When I put the leather wheel on, I tightened
the center nut on the splined shaft only to 10 ft/lbs of torque.
Recently I bought a smaller diameter wheel (I have power steering on my
GTV-6 now, I don't need the leverage afforded by a bigger wheel any
more, but I sure can use the extra knee room from a smaller one) with a
bigger rim cross section for better grip. The second wheel came off
with just a bit of violent rocking motion of the wheel back and forth,
so the lightly torqued center nut is the key. I cannot stress this too
strongly. The splined shaft is tapered, it doesn't take much pressure
to seat the wheel properly on it. There is simply no reason to torque
it down hard, it's not going anywhere. Good luck.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'