Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re:Soft-top frame restoration-what do I keep

Hello Ross,
I just finished the restoration of my frame so I think I know what you are
talking about. I advise you not to throw anything away or demolish too badly
since almost nothing of the frame seems to be available anymore. My own
frame also had the front rail in bad condition bud if yours is not totally
rusted it certainly is not terminal. The corner joints you are referring to
were broken off my front rail completely together with part of the rail
itself (they are welded to the rail and so can not be removed as such). I
took mine to a professional welder who managed to weld everything together
in about 30 min. I then had to adjust the angle to about 30 degrees (I don't
know exactly but you can just try the fit on the car) by putting the rail in
a clamp and gently trying to bend the corner joint without disrupting the
rail itself which appeared to be possible after all. The corner joints by
the way were still attached to the side bar via the big pins which should
allow some movement sideways (around the pins). The hollow rail is build out
of two pressed steel parts which are point welded together. If I understand
well in your case these two parts have become detached. These can be welded
together again surely but be aware that this is a really professional job as
the steel plate is very thin. So unless you are an experienced welder
yourself you better leave it to a professional which shouldn't be too costly
anyhow.