Stag/Stag Digest Archive

crankshaft/jackshaft gear removal (update)

Hello again.  4 down, 1 to go.  I managed to get the jackshaft gear off; just
some gentle persuation with a wood lever.  The crank gears are another story;
they seem to be corroded on.  The outer gear I managed to get off with a
slide hammer, and then a 3 jaw puller.  The inner gear I can't budge with a
slide hammer, as I can't get on it centered, and I don't have a puller with a
long enough reach.. Guess I'll fabricate some bars to extend the arms of the
puller, or something.  If the bolt in the end of the crank was out, the
puller would be long enough, but I don't want to take the bolt out as I will
turn the crank in the process and definately don't want to do that!  Some
heat with a torch on the gear would probably help, but I'm not sure I want to
put that much heat there.  Anyway, I thought I'd send in an update for those
that might be curious.
Frank M.