Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Tight steering

Here's one to tax those grey cells -------------

What is the most likely cause of tight steering?

Driving my stag recently I found the steering getting
very heavy.  It was intermittent but occurred when
turning the wheel in both directions.  It wasn't dangerous,
but it made it rather unpleasant to drive.

To start the investigation I jacked up both front wheels
under the lower suspension arms and turned the steering
wheel both with the engine running and stationary
(i.e. power assistance on and off).  I could feel a certain
amount of tightness even with the engine running but it
didn't appear excessive.

Next I raised the Stag on my lifting device. This lifts at 4 points
under the body so the suspension is hanging down at the front.
I remove the front wheels and disconnected both track rod
arms and turned each suspension strut. They both felt free
but of course they were not under load.  Could they tighten
up under load?

I then removed the steering rack.  The steering column was free to
turn, i.e. no tightness in the UJ's.  The rack feels rather rough
when turned with a pair of Molegrips on the protruding spindle.

There appears to be a date stamped on the control valve body.
It's 05 82, which I take to be May 1982.

There's no evidence of the PO (who owned it since 1989) having
replaced it during his ownership so it could be that old.    However
I understand the normal faults are that racks become too light or
start to leak. Can they get too tight as well?

I guess the power steering pump could be faulty though when I spin
the pulley it feels fine, with no roughness.  Any ideas on how to
check it?

All suggestions gratefully received.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570