Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Timing chains - tendency to break

Peter, the only reason I questioned the Rimmer provided chains was because
of a comment by  Dave Biggs, which I have attached below.

As he suggests soft chains stretch and hard chains may break - there is
obviously some sense here. I just wanted to know how prevelent the problem
of breaking is - the problem of stretching is well known or at least often
spoken about.

P.S Dave - hope you don't mind me re-transmitting your thought on the chains

-------------------------------

Extract from Comment by Dave Biggs 10 th June 99 on the list

Each Stag engine has 2 timing chains one 104 links and one 106 links -
so you need one of each !

The German timing chains are more resistant to stretching but some may
say that they can break without warning so you pays your money and takes
your choice !

Regards,

Dave.

--