Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Timing chains - tendency to break

I think it is highly unlikely Rimmer would be selling them (German chains) if
they didn't work.
I think that provided you keep from overheating and change the oil each 3000
they will last for many miles.
Why do they stretch or break anyway.
My own theory is that something must happen to impede their smooth running.
Like a camshaft that lost its free turning ability due to slight warping of
the head, or a siezed water pump, caused through not changing the oil or for
this same reason they cut into the rubber slippers in the adjusters, get
sloppy and jump the sprockets or break when the load comes on.

One obviously changes regular chains when the adjusters are fully out (Peep
down the oil filler cap hole with a small torch).

If german chains do not stretch, then adjusters don't come out, so I don't
know when you change them.
Hopefully someone will clue me up on this.
Peter H