Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Timing chains - tendency to break

Hi list members,

I would like to gather some input and experiences from the many number of
stag owners that have replaced timing chains.
I have recently purchased a full "german" timing chain kit including
sprockets, tensioners etc from Rimmers Bros..

I was alarmed to see a recent comment on the list, stating that the
non-german chains may tend to stretch but the german chains could be more
suspect to catastrophic breakage. I'm now paranoid about putting in the
"german chains" for fear of this breakage.I would certinly prefer a bit of
stretching, I would think.

Can anyone share their experiences re the pros and cons of using german
chains or not with this new info in mind. Has anyone had a set of such
"german chains" break and if so how long did they last.

I presume the tendency to break is caused by the fact that the "german"
chains are harder. Does this also cause wear of the sprockets etc.

Also does anyone know how to positively identify whether a set of chains is
"german", hardened, normal or otherwise.

Many thanks for any info

Regards
Joe Santamaria
* Lucent Technologies Australia Pty Ltd