Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Purchase

Hi and agree with Glenn.
For me the major problem with the Stag was that in the early days many blocks
did not have the casting sand fully cleared out, and the already marginal
cooling system did not work. The other problem was use of the wrong or no
Antifreeze.
So if you have a well functioning cooling system and the Antifreeze is
changed according to the Anitfreeze Maunfacturers instructions, I think you
keep  most of the engine problems at bay.
Certainly I believe that stretched or broken timing chains, another well
known horror, can result from an over heated engine which warps the heads a
bit and messes up the free running of the camshafts and valves. Major work
needed here.
It can also result from not doing your oil changes every 3000.

So in summary it must not overheat, and you have to keep the fluids fresh

Peter H