Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: new to the list

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Dejong, Paul wrote:

> However, one item, about oilburning engines, , I could not yet find in the
> list . Mine uses about one quarter of a gallon (UK) of 20W50 oil every 1000
> miles or so. What would be normal and what would be just acceptable. The
> engine is running very good returning about 25-27 MPG(UK) but that  maybe is
> a possitive side-effect of the lack of friction in the (worn) engine.

A pint for every 500 miles sounds quite a lot to me - mine does not use any
between 3000 mile changes. However provided that you are not distressing
motorists behind you in a haze of blue smoke I would not worry about it.
Alternatively it might just be dripping out of some seal somewhere as Stags do
tend to leak oil!

25-27 MPG will make most people very jealous - you must have a manual with
overdrive and light right foot.

Glad you enjoy this list. The people are extremely helpful and knowledgeable

Regards

Graham Nicholson