Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Looking for a part

In a message dated 5/17/99 4:16:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
richard.brake@domain.elided writes:

<< I'm afraid you'll have to trace the wiring out. Bear in mind that the
 A'type should have a relay installed to handle the high current for the
 solenoid. Either the inhibitor switch has been bypassed, the switch has
 rusted solid (it's happened to me, I fixed this by soaking the switch in
 a jar of hyperclean) or the relay has died and is permanently shorted.

 The J'type wiring is much cleaner but I prefer the A'type overdrive.

 Please don't run it in 1st or 2nd I know someone who wired his 2.5Pi  up
 like that with overdrive 2nd, 3 d and 4th, and  a close ratio box. This
 gave him 7 very nice gears..... until the overdrive box died. It just
 could not handle the torque.

 Richard  Brake
 richard.brake@domain.elided

Thanks, Richard.  I have an A-type OD in my Healey also and like it alot;
works well, although the OD solenoid just died in it.  I've been nursing it
along for 10 years now so I guess I can't complain.  When I installed an OD
unit in my GT6 I did not have the lockout relay installed.  It slipped the OD
clutch in 2nd, so I went ahead and fabricated a bracket for the lockout
switch and installed it.  It's been working well for the past 9 years or so.
I sure will do the same thing in the Stag.

Thanks,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS USA.