Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag Questions....(Long)

Hi
The Stag is a superb car. Mine is great. I drive it daily and have done so
through the last 9 winters. It was ziebarted from nearly new so that helped.
But the Coating goes hard with age and splits away leaving  a hidey hole for
moisture to collect, and rust sets in. Important to look under a lot to find
any laminating underseal and pull it off and give the area  a good soaking
from a warmed up bottle of Waxoyl.
I think the worst rot in a Stag is from the inside. If the windscreen rubber
leaks at the top, the water drops on your foot, and soaks the carpet which
rots the floor out. It runs down beside the seats and rots out the floor pan
side welding. If the door do not have water curtains the water will run down
the inside of the door trim and into the car, soaking the rear footwell
carpet.
Outside the obvious areas are the usual problem, like sills and wheel arches
but with good protection I think these can be kept relatively rust free.

Generally it is true that one has ones head under the bonnet at least once
per week doing something. Electronic ignition cuts down on things wandering
out of tune, but carbs lose their damper oil, coolant can leak very slightly.
Oil changes are 3000 miles with filter, so a Stag owner is kept fairly busy.

But if you like them, go for it. Any old car needs attention.
Regards
Peter H