Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag Questions....(Long)

Questions for the Stag owners....

I'm considering the purchase of a Stag.  I like the hardtop/softtop options,
and the back seat (I have two little ones, ages 2 & 4).

The boss (aka the Mrs) says I have to sell something to get something new.
So, I'm contemplating the sale of my old van (my winter daily driver).

My biggest question is about winter-time.  I'm in Michigan and we get a
healthy dose snow every season.  My area uses both salt and sand prior to
the eventual removal of the snow from the roadways....  Am I crazy to
consider driving a stag in the winter time?

I have already contemplated undercoating and frequent under body washes to
compensate for the salt.  Would it likely be enough?

How does the stag handle in the snow?

I've read thru the VTR site about the stag and it's nearly enough to scare
one away from owning a stag.  I would prefer a car with the original Triumph
V8, not a transplant.

Is stag ownership as messy as it sounds?  My dad's had a TR3 for 25 years,
and I've had that in my possesion for the last several summers and drive it
at least 100 miles a week, to and from work.

Surely 2400 miles or so of winter driving isn't too much to ask, is it?

Ok, now presuming no one has talked me out of it.....  <GRIN>

From what I read, it sounds like the mark I has more power (as the
compression was reduced on the mark II)...

Is there a preference between the mark I vs the mark II?

Most of the Stag's I've seen so far have automatic....  Is the manual
transmission harder to find?  Are the maintenance issues easier or harder
with a manual tranny?

Finally,  For a rust free auto, in sound mechanical shape and decent paint &
interior, what kind of price range should I expect to find?

Many many thanks!

Phil Pattengale
54 TR2  - TS1440-LO {project #1}
56 TR3  - TS13872-L  {project #2}