Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Engine Oil & Anti-Freeze / Summer Coolant

In a message dated 5/15/99 7:43:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
MikeWattam@domain.elided writes:

<< Do however be careful
 to use 'quality' fluids, for engine oil for instance use Duckhams or
 Castrol (both usually cheaper than every where else in Halfords) 20-50 or
 10-50.  I am sure one person at least will disagree with me on the use of
 synthetic oils however!  There is no performance advantage in using
 synthetic oils (and a big price penalty) as you should be changing your
 engine oil and filter every 3,000 miles in common with virtually any other
 classic car.

 However, do only ever use the correct Unipart oil filter GFE 147.  The
 design of this is special and spurious parts will not do the job. >>

Mike, I, for one, agree wholheartedly.  I have several British cars and
rotate them in and out of storage.  They only each get about 1-2000 miles/yr
on them.  Each time they go in storage I change the oil so they are not
sitting in storage with old oil.  I hear it turns acidic and can harm the
bearings.  When they come out of storage, I again change the oil and the
filter.  So I'm changing oil about every 2000 miles.  My GT6 is going into
storage tomorrow, and the Healey is coming out until the Stag gets on the
road, and then the Healey will go back into storage.  I was supposed to be
done by now with the Stag.  Oh well.
Frank M.