Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag Questions....(Long)

Hi Phil

Well the Stag is very good for a small family, so welcome to the world of
Stags.

I spent most of January in Detroit, Toronto and Niagara visiting TSR
members, so I know what snow conditions are like there!  they really do use
one huge amount of salt and I certainly wouldn't drive my own Stag on that
!!!!  Detroit seemed to be totally paralysed, so no salt there, just a lot
of cars spinning off the road but not mine.

If you're definite you will have to use your Stag like that, make sure it
gets on a ramp regularly to have a very thorough underside high pressure
wash.

On the other hand, the Stag is actually very good in the snow if the rear
wheel drive and torque is respected, it has near 50-50 weight balance with
the hard top on, and with Winter tyres has lots of grip.  Onlt minus is the
steering is light at the best of times so you don't get much 'feel' of
whats going on up front.

The VTR are just keeping you informed, what they write is all expert and
high quality stuff if you run into trouble.  Main thing is, you need to do
regular and correct maintenance (as with any other classic car) for it to
give of its best.

MkI and MkII North American spec have very little to choose between them,
just if you have a very early car make sure it has the late type cooling
system with a pressurised header tank on the nearside of the radiator, and
an air cleaner which sucks air through a single flat pipe over the radiator
(and exhaust manifold) rather than just 2 trumpets.

Manual gearbox is more economical than auto, but manual much better with
overdrive (rare) as it gives a high overdrive speed of 25mph/1000 revs
against 20mph on manual 4 speed and auto  - it sounds real busy at 70!

As you say, the MKI has slightly more power, but North American spec cars
are fairly slow anyway with only around 125bhp, so a few more lost isn't
going to make that much difference.

As I'm in the Uk I can't help you on Stag prices - they seem to vary
enormously with California cars being most in demand due to the dry
conditions.  We have a member near Ontario who bought a very sound car at
Christmas for Canadian 7000 with original engine and auto. Lets hope our
US/Canadian members can give you a better hook on pricing.

I'll get our USA vice president Glenn Merrell to contact you when he gets
back from vacation on this.

IMHO - Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register