Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: vin number problem

A snipped from Mike Wattams posting a while ago:

You would be forgiven for thinking that;

D = domestic
E = export

But L = Stag, D & E are just derived suffixes.  No such thing as A, B,
or C
though.  Could this be the start of another rumour?  Was the original
prototype A, we may never know.

[snip]

You might be forgiven for assuming that engine numbers including U =
Unleaded but this is not consistent!  Some commision numbers for the USA
had the letter 'U' included, so I suppose this could also have been
shorthand for USA.

The use of BW as a suffix is definitely to signify Borg Warner
automatic,
similarly the 'O' at the end of the commission number is for 'overdrive'
and that's official.  I have seen other suffixes but cannot bring them
mind at the moment.  Can anybody else help here?