Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: clutch hydraulics

FMags2@domain.elided wrote:

> I've just started rebuilding all of the hydraulics, starting with the clutch
> master and slave cylinders and am already running into problems from the work
> of the POs.
>
> Question #1:  My clutch slave cylinder had two 1/2 inch spacers between the
> cylinder and the bell housing.  I assume that these are not stock, and was an
> attempt by the PO to make up for a slipping clutch?
>
> Q2:  If the clutch is worn to the point where it was slipping and assuming
> that the remedy above fixed it for now, is there any danger of damaging the
> flywheel face?  I suppose it all depends on how much the clutch is worn.
>
> Q3:  My clutch master cylinder pushrod had evidently been broken in two
> places and welded back together quite badly and is not very straight.  It
> measures 4 3/16 inches from the tip to the center of the hole for the pin
> that holds it to the pedal.  Is this the correct length?
>
> Q4:  Does anyone have a spare clutch master cylinder pushrod that they would
> like to part with?  Even if mine is the correct length, I'd like one that is
> at least straight.

I don't think that any tweaks to the slave cylinder will help a slipping
clutch. It sounds like the spacers were put in to take up excessive play
in the operating mechanism (a common stag problem).

I can't help on the issue of the correct length of the master cylinder
pushrod, it sounds like you need a new or straight secondhand one. If it
is bent it will cause the bore to wear on one side and then leak.

Regards,

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs