Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: brake lines

On behalf of any British members, may I say "its just the way our cars
were made". Be gratefull there's not much that use's BSW (British
Standard Whitworth) on the Stag.

I've carefully avoided keeping Metric tools in the garage! It stops me
getting confused.

The best bet is to stock-pile up a quantity of the end's, personally I
use Male and Female Brass Unions (buy in quantitys of 100 and the price
comes down) and copper pipe although some people prefer "Kunifer". Then
the braking system does'nt age so quickly. Having seen steel ends and
pipes going rusty a year after fitting I decided there was better ways
to waste my money than using steel brake pipe bits.

A good UK Supplier is "Namrick" (01273 726708) they also ship stainless
steel nuts & bolts in Imperial and Whitworth!
They're flaring tool is £70  and that does 3/16th"  and ¼". Copper pipe
is £10 for 3/16th2 25' (8.3 metres for those who've gone metric).

They also supply Silicon brake fluid £19 for a litre (1-3/4 pints). Most
people have already seen the various discussions regarding that. If not
I'll forward a summary.

For any one with a really sick mind I believe that Morris Minors used an
1/8th" Union (Ugh!).

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided