Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil

Hello Walter,

    Thank you for that great explanation on siezed valves.

This prompts a question that has been burning for quite some time more
along the line of your valve/oxygenated fuels explanation.

    The Stag engine does not use valve stem seals like so many other
cars.  I think that the original valve guides were steel?, at least that
is what came out of my last set of heads that appeared untouched.    My
engine builder told me that steel guides with steel valves is a bad
combination just for the reasons you state, we have hi-oxy fuel in
Colorado 6 months out of the year.  I have had my heads reworked with
bronze guides, but have been wondering if anyone recommends adding stem
seals.  There has been some brief discussion from time to time, but no
real discussion.  My engine builder says it is up to me, but that the
engine would run a slight bit cleaner with stem seals.  Seals would need
to be high temp variety and not the standard rubber caps.
    I also believe that with bronze guides and stem seals, the Stag
engine will clean up a bit on particulate emission, as we in Colorado,
like Arizona, have a Clean Air emissions program and auto tests. Which
brings up the question of how you deal with emissions tests in AZ on
Stags??

Comments, opinions, experiences and substantiated facts welcome.

Regards,
Glenn