Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front Brakes Query

     Gentlemen,

     I usually just lurk on the list, but all of the comments regarding the
message concerning the front brakes and being specifically designed for the
right or left side have spurred me to provide some thoughts and observations.
	About one year ago, while I was in a local NAPA Shop, I inquired about brake
pads, I didn't need them, but I was curious about availability, price, ect,
The parts guy, indicated that they could get the pads, and stated they were
designed for a specific side, i.e. they are handed. I think the pads were by
Lockheed, but I can't remember. so I have thought from that time on, that the
pads were handed.
     I do agree that the initial comment/correction concerning handedness
could have been a bit more gentle, I took it as someone trying to make sure
that correct info is distributed. While I firmly believe that all members of
the list are honorable and well intentioned, I, at times cringe at the
"advice" that is offered. I believe that it is advice without any practical
experience. I will defer to the experts, i.e. someone who works on the Stag
regularly, not as a hobby, such as Tony Hart. My only suggestion is to really
know what you are talking about from actual experience re. the Stag before
offering advice on the list. Wrong advice however well intentioned can cause
expensive problems and dangerous situations. Certainly all members should take
the advice offered with a grain of salt, people with little or no mechanical
experience who follow incorrect advice can be harmed.
	Now before this matter gets escalated to the next level, I really don't think
that anyone's pride or reputations has been harmed. Let's just relax and
remember why this list is there. I really don't think that we need to go with
dueling pistols.
	I will now fall off of my soap box and go back to lurking. By the way my Stag
has been almost a daily driver for at least the last six months, they are
really great little cars. .
	Cheers to all,
	P.S. Glenn, I broke down and got a lift, it's great.
	TAstag, a.k.a. Joe D.
	73 Stag, 73 Volvo P1800, 47 Dodge Truck, 29, Model A, 73 Trans Am