Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front Pads/Attaching Files

Hi John,
    Thank you for the response from Mr. Allen.  DO NOT send a file
attachment on the Stag List, as it will be rejected and not delivered.
The Stag List checks for post size maximum characters ( I think it is
about 5000 characters), and for attached files, marks them as requiring
review directly by the list maintainer,  discards them or bounces them
back to you.

For Mr. Allen:
Please comment on:
    1.  part current number of the pads he is referring to;
    2.  manufacturer of the pads he is referring to;
    3.  possible manufacturers of other "non handed" pads, or
misapplication of "close to original" pads from other models that may be
fitted in error;
    4.  in what "if possible the manufacturers workshop manual before
proceeding. " manual he is referring to that shows and describes proper
installation of the brake pads, indicating "handed" positioning, stating
publisher, revision, section and paragraph;
    5.  from my previous post, the reasoning for the part number changes
in the two Stanpart numbers of the front pads, and the part number
sequences that now exist, including "kit numbers", and what they
represent.

I am sure that Mr. Allen should be able to supply this information to
remedy the discrepancies of those having "handed" and those having "non
handed" pads, having the benefit of knowledge spanning 15 years or more,
and being the Stag Owners Club Technical Advisor.  As the recognized
authority holding that position, I'd still appreciate Mr. Allen
addressing the issue of inappropriate pads being found in Stags, and a
possible observation as to where they are sourced from.   If he does not
wish to respond to the list, then he can respond to me as an SOC current
dues paying member.

Best bet is to fax the drawing to someone that has a scanner, then make
it available on an as requested basis, or,  if anyone wants a scan of my
Lockheed pads and a photo showing the proper orientation of handed pads,
send me a note and I'll e-mail you a copy in "jpeg" format.

Being that this is indeed NOT a "trivial matter" as I exclaimed
previously, I will prepare photographs of handed and non handed pads
sold as "OEM Replacements" from various manufacturers, and manual
installation references from the Manufacturers Maintenance Manual (ROM)
for their "proper installation, placing a maintenance page on the VTR
Web site Stag page.  Any facts that Mr. Allen can offer to shed light on
this situation, I would also request his express permission to reproduce
his technical advice on this Stag maintenance page.

I'd also like to formally apologize to the Stag List/Digest members for
making the "trivial" statement, brake safety clearly not being
"trivial".  As one of my missions, I will continue to search for facts
substantiated with documentation to find the proper answers, and resist
innuendo remarks in the future.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
SOC Member #19877