Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Castrol

Hi all, Bruce Koehler wrote "had FOUR MAJOR engine failures with valves
seizing up in the valve guides running it: 72 Stag 79 Spitfire 83 Chev 350
V8 71 Ford 302 V8 in a boat It has happened over a 10 year period, but
Castrol is the ONLY common denominator. Anyone else ? "

Well over the course of many years of cars, rebuilding, not rebuilding I
have changed to exclusive use of Castrol and I offer my following history. I
am not a total knucklehead who changes oil every 50 miles but rather do a
realistic 3000 mile oil/filter change. The Triumphs will get oil changed
every 1500 miles since I tend to run them on the hard side anyway.
*indicates bought new
76 Honda 174,000 miles, no engine work
78 Honda 220,000 miles, bad valve at 147,000 miles*
65 Spitfire 100,000 miles, no engine work (this year will see total takedown
Losing a main bearing)
79 Ford Escort 127,000 miles, head gasket but not oil related (except for
the coolant mixed in)*
87 Honda 210,000, no engine work (my current commute car)*
92 Saturn 125,000, no engine work (wifes current commute car)*
84 Toyota Truck 198,000 , no engine work*
My current Triumph stable of a 73 Stag, 80 TR7, 65 Spitfire, 76 Spitfire
will continue to be fed Castrol. I have had to clean out sludge from many
engines that used Pennzoil and Valvoline products. The common factor with
the Castrol has been little to no sludge. For as much as the DPO abused my
Stag before the rebuild, the dipwad did use Castrol and there was no
appreciable wear or sludge in the motor when I baselined the entire engine
by replacing everything in the rebuild, I don't trust DPO's. It did have a
100k on the motor. I'll let you know when I get 100k miles on the new Stag
motor. Currently I have 27 miles on it (main launch date very soon) and have
noticed no appreciable wear....kiddin guys
later
Joe "Stagmiester" Pawlak
Hampshire, Ill USA
Illinois Sports Owner Assoc (Newsletter Editor)
VTR Member