Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front Brakes Query...

Greetings All,
	I must say that I am quite dismayed and surprised at this obvious forthright
verbal attack being made on this digest from a supposed Stag Owners Club expert
Mr. Mike Allen, the SOC Technical Co-ordinator, purveyed by Mr. John Clayton!
	I have poured over all the manuals and parts catalogues I have, and the ONLY
reference I find to any "handed" position is in the Stag AutoBook #808, page
#106, that states, and I quote:  "Fit in the new pads and shims, making sure
that any arrows etched on them point in the direction of normal wheel
rotation."  I am quite sure that the "arrows" referred to are those on the
SHIMS, NOT the PADS.  Note that the Stag ROM, nor the two versions of Triumph/BL
parts catalogues, nor the vendor catalogs indicate anything about the pads being
"handed" or directional.  I will venture a S.W.A.G. based on my NOVICE opinion
that at least one manufacturer of Stag Pads can be found that produces "handed"
pads, that relate specifically to the type and direction the pad material grain
as aligned on the pad, making it a "directional" or "handed" pad set.
	To further compare this finding, I then went out, measured and compared the old
pads and shoes to the new set from Rimmers, and another set from SNG Barrratts,
and all pads and shoes are indeed symmetrical, but different manufacturers all,
containing NO directional or "handed" markings.  I then called 6 autoparts
stores that I know stock pads and shoes for the STAG in the US, two of them had
the pads and shoes on the shelf.  Their cross reference indicated nothing about
"handed" sets.  I would think that if this was such a CRITICAL ISSUE, that the
ROM would have at least a slight mention of it in the STAG ROM, as
mis-installation could be a liability issue.  In fact, this is such a trivial
issue for a mechanic to perform, that there is little or no mention in the STAG
ROM other than a quick mention in the maintenance section 10.00.16(56) that
contains NO instructions as to "handed" installation.

	Now my PERSONAL experience: Although I am not employed or own a service shop
like some people on this list, not being one of the qualified "experts", one of
my jobs from 1970 to 1973 was as a "lot boy" at a BL Dealership.  Guess what one
of my jobs was ??..., you got it, changing brake pads and shoes, bleeding the
brake lines.  One of those gopher jobs like oil changes that the uppity flat
rate BL mechanics did not like to do (get the "boy" to do it!).  I don't recall
pads being "handed" on any of the Triumphs I worked on, the shoes being flipped
for lead/lag shoes, and the pads being symmetrical.  I recall that the squeal
shims WERE positional when placed on the disk pad, being placed in the direction
of rotation ONTO the pad with the anti-squeal material underneath.  The squeal
shim having an arrow etched or stamped into it.

	I for one would like to see an public apology made on this list for such a
forthright and direct attack to both the person whom the attack was leveled, and
to the list participants, or I'll tender my request for a refund of my SOC club
dues.  This type of banter is totally uncalled for on this list, and especially
concerning such a trivial matter.

Sincere Regards,

Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
*J*O*I*N**Y*O*U*R**L*O*C*A*L**T*R*I*U*M*P*H**C*L*U*B**T*O*D*A*Y*
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC