Stag/Stag Digest Archive

New Member Intro

Hi Tom

Welcome to the Stag Digest, anybody's positive remarks and experiences are
always eagerly sought, I hope you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Of course, when you get working on your friends Stag you will be so
captivated that you will need to buy one yourself ...............

Regarding the Stag engine reliability, there is some truth in overheating
problems, but only in so far as the Stag doesn't have much tolerance of
mistreatment.  That is, if not correctly built, wrong rad, incorrectly
maintained etc.,  This truly makes the Stag no different than a lot of
other cars, whether classic or modern.  There are 2 simple rules of
maintenance for the Stag which need to be stated - antifreeze or other good
corrosion inhibitor must be used year round in sufficient strength to
prevent internal cooling system corrosion, and the oil/filter should be
changed every 3,000 miles as it has a hard time.

If you want to swap motors, then consider the TOTAL cost of the conversion,
not just the cost of buying a good used motor.  There is the cost of
fabrication of special parts, opening up and rectifying the engine you buy,
matching it to a transmission, and of course the time and labour.  While I
do not know the 4.3 V6 you refer to, I would suspect it intrinsically runs
rough and has a complex system of engine mountings to insulate it from the
body in the standard application.  You are going to have some difficulty
replicating that engineering to give an acceptable drive.

Also, if the resale value is an important consideration, it is always best
to have the original motor in the car.

Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, welcome to the Stag Digest.  If we in the TSR can help, please let
us know straight away.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register