Stag/Stag Digest Archive

New Member Intro

Hello all,

 Just wanted to introduce myself to the list.  I don't currently own a Stag
(and to be honest I may never) but a good friend of mine originally from
Ireland, now residing in the states has always wanted to own one.  As it
works out, I'll be the one to tackle the restification and will be lurking
to learn as much as possible.  I can offer general engine/automotive help
when I know and will try to offer when I can. On a side note I can recall
when I was about 8 (few years ago) I used to have to push start my
grandmothers little spitfire....ahh the good ole days.

Now a little about the project.  Hope I don't offend anyone by this but
here's what I'm thinking.  My friend informed me that the Stag motor has
suffered from a cooling problem throughout the years, so....In an effort to
bypass that we were first looking at getting one of the Land Rover aluminum
V8's (copy of the Buick F85?, but better)  I hear this a is a fairly common
swap.  Not sure how lucky we'll be with that, but I've found deals before.
Here's my alternative plan, might want to sit down.  Going with a Chevy 4.3L
V6.  They are quite readily available and there are plenty of performance
parts available.  A little about it for those that don't know...3.48" stroke
crank, 4" bore, 1.94"/1.50" valves.  Its basically a 350 with 2 cylinders
cut off.  Either a custom tuned fuel injection manifold (ala TPI) or a
conventional 4 barrel type manifold converted to run port fuel injection
with dry throttle body being run off a programmable Haltech Computer (ECM).
Borg Warner T5 5 speed, with a narrowed late model 10 bolt GM rear with
discs.  If you can't tell I'm a big fan of electronic fuel injection.  We
haven't found the car of his dreams yet, so its a little hard for me to dive
in and see what the suspension/brakes/etc are all about.  Feel free to tell
me what you think.  Sorry for being long winded...I hope not to be in all my
posts.  Thanks in advance...and nice to meet y'all.

Tom
'88 Ragtop
'64 SS
ragtop88@domain.elided