Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Introduction

Hi,

I live in Central Florida and am currently restoring a 72 Stag.  It had 107K
on the original engine.  I bought it in 1991 but it's been sitting 1986.  The
engine only had 5 pounds of oil pressure and knocked pretty good.  We are
putting a Rover 3.5 liter motor in.  We have fabricated motor and trans
mounts.  We found a starter from an old Buick will fit nicely.  We will need
to lengthen the driveshaft, but there is a place in town that does that.  Any
suggestions on exhaust manifolds/headers?

I am still undecided on what to use for the carb. I have been told that the
Strombergs are not enough carburettion for this car.  I am considering using
SU's from a Jaguar (HD8's), but we will have to alter the hood as they stick
up too high. Or possibly going with an American carb.  The Rover engine has a
Holley 600 on it, which I am told is too much carburettion for this engine,
the engine is stock.  I had a Holley 390 on my Rover 3500 I had years ago and
it was nothing but trouble.  But almost everyone here recommends going with a
Holley.  I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

Thanks,

Elisa Pearson