Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: MK I vs MK II

BIDGOOD, ALAN wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am still looking for a Stag here in the San Francisco Bay Area,
> although
> I've looked at a couple I still haven't found the one.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering about the lists views on MK 1 vs MK 2, please
> could you explain the differences, advantages, disadvantages of one over
> the other.  (I am right in assuming a 1971 is MK 1 and a 1973 is MK 2?)
>
> Also, am I better advised to try and find a Stag where the engine has
> been
> professional rebuilt fairly recently, or one with fairly low mileage
> (50K) with
> no apparent overheating, leaking head gaskets etc. or are the problems
> just waiting to happen and under my ownership?
>
> Just wanted some views/advice,

Alan,

MK1 is commission number less than LD20000, MK2 is LD20000 and above.
This occurred during 1973.

The differences between MK1 & MK2 are basically :-

Badges grey background instead of black
Cylinder heads (I don't know any details)
Pistons had flat tops instead of domed
Radiator & expansion bottle arrangement
Seats (head restraints and number of ribs)
Dashboard and instruments appearance
Interior light on B posts instead of T bar
Soft top quarter lights removed on MK 2
Rear number plate lamps on bumper rather than in bootlid
Side stripes added for MK 2
Door catches and mechanisms
A type rather than J type overdrive
Different alternator
etc

Not all of the above changes happened overnight, they came in at various
stages during production as stock was changed.

It's entirely up to you which you prefer but obviously there are more
MK2s to choose from. From the outside there aren't many differences and
it would be very easy to make one look like the other. Hence it is best
to look at the commission number on the plate rivetted to the L/H B post
(visible when the door is open).

Engine wise, look for leaks and check the coolant for plenty of fresh
antifreeze. Check that the engine sounds rattle free and that the oil
has been changed regularly.

Most important of all - get a sound body !

Some useful links:-

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Triumph_Stag/
http://www.vtr.org/Stag/Stag-maint.html
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/gcj72/

The last link has some very useful production change information and
history.

Happy hunting,

Dave.

--