Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: MK I vs MK II

Dave Biggs wrote:-

> The differences between MK1 & MK2 are basically :-
>
> Badges grey background instead of black
> Cylinder heads (I don't know any details)
> Pistons had flat tops instead of domed
> Radiator & expansion bottle arrangement
> Seats (head restraints and number of ribs)
> Dashboard and instruments appearance
> Interior light on B posts instead of T bar
> Soft top quarter lights removed on MK 2
> Rear number plate lamps on bumper rather than in bootlid
> Side stripes added for MK 2
> Door catches and mechanisms
> A type rather than J type overdrive
> Different alternator
> etc

Just to clarify things, Dave is describing a MK1 Stag in the above list.
I've always preferred MK1's because I like the instruments. The
needles are nice and slim as opposed to the fat MK11 ones.

I also prefer the MK1 rear number plate plinth. The MK11 one
in the bootlid looks a bit cheap and nasty IMHO.

However, the interior lights on the B-posts aren't as good as
the MK11 overhead one in providing light to the cockpit.
One of the very first jobs I did on my first Stag, back in 1979,
was to fit a decent interior light to the underside of the T-bar
right at the front.  This involved cutting a piece of the padding out,
and that won't meet with everyone's approval I know.

I could go on but it's really a personal choice. I would advise
buying some books and looking at the pictures, or better still,
looking at some actual Stags and talking to their owners.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570