Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: New List Member

Frances - just adding my opinions - If you have owned a TR-7, you are
probably familiar with any problems which might arise with a stag. The
TR-7 engine is just 1/2 of a stag engine. As for preference on engine,
it depends on what you want from the car - if you are after a 'daily
driver', but not 'investment value', I would say either engine is fine.
If you are after a 'collector car', then the original engine is the only
choice. My stag was a daily driver for 12 years (with a lot of maintenance
during that period) before I got a different car as a daily driver and
my stag became a 'garage queen'. I have the original engine in it and
it has been out of the car over 4 times during the years for one reason
or another. I can say it never 'failed' me (except one time when the
chains were put back on improperly - another story) during normal
operation, but required more maintenance than most other 'normal cars'.
Probably the only advantage of a non-original engine would be parts
availability - if you put in a higher production engine, then parts are
easier to get if you have a problem away from home. As for the original,
there are enough suppliers out there but you probably need to figure on
a 1-4 day wait for the parts.

Good luck in your search - Ted Rose

At 09:08 AM 1/26/99 -0800, Francis Dupuis wrote:
>Just poking my nose in to say hello, and request some bits of info.
>I am a long time Triumph owner, having owned several Spitfires as well
>as the TR7 and TR8 that I currently have. I am looking to replace these
>with a Stag. I have only been looking for a short period of time, but it
>has become apparent that they are even harder to find than a TR8 (which
>is saying something).
>The only units I have found are sound in body, but do not have the
>original engines installed. From what I have read, this is quite common.
>What I am curious about is if it has a serious effect on the value if
>the car does not have the original engine. IE, does a stag with a 302
>conversion and excellent body value less than one with the original
>engine but an average body. I know this is subjective, but some
>background info would be very helpful.
>Lastly, of course is a request for info on cars for sale. I am looking
>for a car in excellent condition, I don't have time for a project at
>this point in my life. I spend most of my time travelling across North
>America, and live in Vancouver, Canada.
>
>If anyone can point me in the right direction on these questions I would
>greatly appreciate it.
>
>thanks....
>
>Francis Dupuis
>Class Customer Care
>Escom Software Services Ltd.
>francisd@domain.elided
>
>There are enormous canyons of space that hide
>between seconds where moments become seasons
>and minutes last an eternity, but you can't get there on foot

  Ted Rose  -  ted.rose@domain.elided
  Manager of MSC/NASTRAN Training and Support
  The MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation
  815 Colorado Blvd.
  Los Angeles, Calif., 90041
  Tel: 323-259-3825  Fax: 323-259-4999
DISCLAIMER:  The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and
do not reflect corporate views or policies of The MacNeal-Schwendler Corp.
(and for that matter they probably don't even reflect reality)