Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Looking for a points plate

Henry,

Wih all due respect to Lenny I would retain the Inertia Switch
if you possibly can.  It's there for a very good reason, namely
to prevent the chance of fuel being pumped all over the car in
the event of a bad accident (or "wreck" in the USA, I believe).

It is possible to take it apart and clean the contacts, and
this is what I'd recommend you do.

I believe Triumph were one of the first to fit these safety
devices, and it took a long while for other manufacturers to
fit them.

My experiences with electronic ignition are:-

Had Luminition on my first MK1 Stag. This lasted for
around 15 years without any problems.

Recently fitted Newtronic (the new name for Piranha)
to my second MK1 Stag, and at about 4000 rpm the
Tacho needle goes haywire, repeatedly flicking back to
near zero then up to 4000 again.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570
<stag@domain.elided>; Mike Wattam DANMAS@domain.elided <MikeWattam@domain.elided>